Myths and Facts
'Tis the day fer the wearin' of the green.
We all know that March 17th is synonymous with avoiding pinches, large amounts of alcohol being consumed, and people demanding physical affection based solely on their heritage.
Did you know that St. Patrick's Day is actually the death anniversary of the first catholic missionary / bishop in Ireland? It wasn’t his first trip to Ireland however, because as a young boy Patrick was captured by Irish pirates and was sold and worked as a farm hand for 6 years before finally returning home where he studied to become a clergyman.
The shamrock is associated with St. Patrick not because it’s lucky, but because he often used it as an illustrative parable to teach the Irish natives about the Catholic concept of the Holy Trinity.
Over the years some facts have been lost in the media and new traditions have been created around St Patrick’s Day. The same thing has happened with mold (which is also a green-ish hue). Mold has been portrayed as a silent killer when in reality it’s just an allergen. Mold is by no means something you want to spread on your corned beef sandwich, but unless you’re allergic to a specific strain you come in contact with you won’t see any permanent damage to your health. It does have an odor to it and it’s usually a sign that there has been some water damage, so it’s best to have a professional look at your situation.
May luck be in your corner and mold!
Happy St Patrick’s Day!